BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Success in music... success in life!

Proposals to alter Fine Arts curriculum likely to lessen its value

I recently found this article in the Edmonton Journal. Ultimately I cannot agree with it's author more. While the province suggests that diversifying the fine arts school curriculum is an excellent idea, I believe that the end result not yield an individual well versed in all fine arts. Rather, the student would have some idea what art, drama and music were about, but would have no real aptitude in any of these. As the author stated so aptly: "Practising an art requires a certain degree of repetition, commitment, and inflexibility. The sense of pride, accomplishment, and confidence that any young student has when they achieve is remarkable, and is key when they are developing attributes of discipline, dedication, and perseverance."

Many sources clearly indicate that those who are successful in music are successful in life - hence the motto on a recent Yamaha poster. Einstein was an amazing violinist and often played while he was developing his ideas. A very high percentage of medical doctors studied music to an advance level and could have just as easily chosen to pursue music instead of medicine. Parents of my own students have remarked on how their children have improved in school subsequent to beginning music lessons.

To summarize, learning about fine art is not the same as actually learning it. The diversification does not encourage the development of a particular art form. I would suggest that schools would be serving young Canadians more by giving a concise seminar to those students interested in the arts. The seminar could give examples of each discipline essentially providing the student with a frame of reference to choose what they want to pursue in more depth. While I will be the first to admit a very strong relationship between music, drama and art, I must advocate that within the school system they remain separate in order to allow student to make a commitment to a particular area of fine arts.

0 comments: